Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Time to Lose

I am overweight. There I said it. I'm actually pretty far overweight at this point. I can't blame my son, though I can blame him for the stretch marks and saggy bits, because I was overweight before I got pregnant. I still have about 10lbs to lose of the baby weight and about 70lbs of college weight on top of that! I have gone up and down in weight since high school, losing and gaining as much as 40lbs at a time. Some of the blame goes to my folks, who still eat Mc Donalds for every meal, for feeding my garbage for my entire childhood. It's true that I had no idea what wheat bread tastes like until my late teens. At nearly twenty-five, I take ownership of my fat. It's my fat. I put a lot of it there with bad eating habits, crash dieting, overeating, binge eating, purging, starvation, and general lack of attention to what I put in my body. Now that I eat under the watchful eyes of my son, I have to do better.

My son eats better than I ever have. I feed him a vegetarian diet comprised of homemade baby food enriched with Salba! I carefuly construct each meal for maximum nutrition, yet I still snack on whatever is available. I need to start putting as much thought into my meals as I do his. He often makes this difficult. I have come a long way from my fast food roots. I eat whole wheat bread, lots of fruits and veggies, lean meats, baked over fried, and even sneak in some fish when I can. What I need to do now is really watch my portions and cut out all of the "bad" stuff (ie: cheeseburgers, homemade dessesrts, and my addiction to artisan breads). Also, I need to exercise.

Exercising is the part I absolutely hate. I am far from athletic, even at my thinnest I was the slowest runner in the bunch. I attempted to play sports when I was young but never really excelled at anything. I always falter on the exercise routine. I need to find something that I don't hate. I am leaning towards Zumba and walking with Ham when the weather gets warmer.

I am certain there will be more updates in the future. This is something I need to do not just for me but for Ham too. So, wish me luck. I'll need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment